Thursday, June 25, 2009

An Evening With Night Ranger

The muscle shirt. Once a staple of the 1980's then mocked, but tonight, resurrected like a phoenix rising from the ashes at the Sonoma-Marin Fair in Petaluma.

Only one occasion could bring back this fashion statement. It had to be something monumental. And it was. Night Ranger.

Continuing our annual tradition of catching one-hit wonders at county fairs, Joana and I set off tonight to attend what might honestly be the prize-winning event in almost a decade of summer concerts. I entered with zero expectations and instead was rewarded with so much.

Let's recap the evening:

1) The county fair: I wasn't even 30 seconds into the fairgrounds when I saw a booth selling wine coolers. I mean in the Bartels & James era, that was one thing, but in 2009? This was truly going to be an evening to remember.

Nachos and a wine cooler please!

Photobucket

2) The food: A vegetarian's nightmare. Spits of shiny over-roasted beef, corn dogs, turkey legs...food you would never actually eat unless you are either a caveman or at a county fair. Tonight's favorite find, Big Jim's Monster Dogs - a supersized corn dog. You know, because a normal sized one is never really enough. Deep fried Twinkie sold seperately.

Beef...it's what's for dinner:

Photobucket

Eat lots of these and you'll end up with a name like "Big Jim"

Photobucket

Mmm...mmm...turkey leg!

Photobucket

3) The fashion:
Where to begin? From tie-dye to Texas tuxedos (denim on denim), this fair really had it all. Men preferred jorts (jean shorts), ladies seemed to favor the elastic waist capri pant. Camouflage prints and American flag apparel were also all the rage. Last but hardly least, the muscle shirt. Oh how we missed you. Good to see you back!

Camo hats and GQ sweatshirts over shoulders...

Photobucket

Who said fringe jackets are out of style?

Photobucket

A vision in tie dye...

Photobucket

4) The hair:
Big, bleached, mulleted, pony-tailed, frizzy and spiky. I fit in perfectly.

Equally bad hair. Mine is just less mullet-y...

Photobucket

So sexy!

Photobucket

My hair wants to party all the time, party all the time, party all the time...

Photobucket

5) The music:
It's NIGHT RANGER! Do I even need to say anything more? A few things to note about this experience...

a) Trust me on this. You actually know more Night Ranger songs than you'll ever care to admit

Photobucket

b) It is absolutely impossible not to start singing "Sister Christian" along with the band.
"Motoring..."

Photobucket

c) I'm going to get railed for this, but, they kind of don't suck

Sonoma-Marin Fair. You had me at wine coolers. I only wish I was around this weekend to see the spectacle of Bret Michaels performing on stage.

4 comments:

shrinecastle said...

Wow. You saw everything that day: Night Ranger, fantastic mullets, wine coolers. I envy you. I would like to point out that Night Ranger was NOT a one-hit wonder! What about "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" and "(You Can Still) Rock in America"? Ah, yeah, all right!

Heather said...

Texas tuxedo. I had not heard that one. It's a keeper now!

The Sonia Show said...

Holy crap! This post is so funny! I do the same thing. I secretly take pictures of bad fashion and mock on my blog.

It appears that the fair has the best people watching (and mocking) ever!

Justin Cottrell said...

C'mon Kristen, you had me at Nachos and a Wine Cooler...then the deep fried Twinkie. Everyone knows that a person eats their way through the fair :) And yes, I remember spending endless hours during the summer when I was a bedroom guitar hero playing the sounds of Night Ranger "(You Can Still) Rock In America" was the first song I ever learned (honest!). Looks like it was a good time. =)