Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A View From the Top...

How’s this for a new outlook on things?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

That’s right! A photo looking back at the wing for once. Guess who isn’t sitting over the wing with the rest of the herd in coach? I was upgraded to first class upon checking in this morning...cause that’s how I roll.

Wow…even the pretzels taste better up here, as does the Diet Pepsi I’m sipping out of a real glass. In case you’re thinking I’m getting a big head about this upgrade don’t worry. The universe is still having its way with me as a screaming baby, otherwise known as my required business travel companion, is sitting right behind me. After surviving that flight with 80 French Canadian teenagers a few weeks ago, I guess I should be thankful it isn’t worse.

I’m on a flight to Minneapolis right now, marking a new region of the United States that I’ve never ventured to before. (There could be a reason for that as it is Minneapolis, yikes). Then again, this is the city that brought us Prince so it can’t be all that bad. I had to promise my friend Rick that I’d find a hat and throw it, Mary Tyler Moore style while I’m there as well.

Like me, only different:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Today’s journey began with a little hiccup, or as the flight deck called it, a “little indicator light issue.” Why in God’s good name do pilots feel the need to be 100% honest with us about these things? I swear ignorance in these situations truly is bliss. I don’t want to know what is really happening. Go ahead and lie to me. Tell me there are weather issues in Minneapolis. Tell me a runway just shut down at SFO and we’re going to have some small delays. Tell me anything…other than the truth.

With big saucer eyes and heart palpitations we took off in complete silence. In the end, the indicator light issue had something to do with the air conditioning unit and nothing major. Or perhaps it was a big deal and the pilot is lying to us. Who knows? Just get me there already little birdie.

Today Minneapolis, next Sunday, New York City. The following week I’m in Los Angeles. So many business trips right now! They always come in clusters like this. I’m sure the next three days will provide plenty of stories. Until then, I am going to stretch out and enjoy my time living the high life, because I’m sure it will be awhile before I am afforded this first class luxury again.

No comments: