Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Three Months Later...

Today is the three month anniversary of my shoulder surgery.

Zipadeedodah. I know you're all tired of hearing about it. But humor me for just a few more minutes...I promise, I'm running out of things to say on the topic.

I received a nice posting from a guy named Jason who is recovering from the very same surgery. He wanted to know how my recovery is going and if it is normal to feel pain seven weeks out of having a Bankart repair.

Well Jason, do you want the good news or the bad news first?

Let's get the bad out of the way. The answer to pain at seven weeks out is sadly, yes. I was still in a world of hurt at that point. I had only been out of wearing my immobilizer at work for about a week, but had to keep it on at bedtime as my arm was too weak to sleep without the extra support. I was reliant on pain medication and ice more than I expected. I wish I had better news for where you are at in your recovery. I too was alarmed at the pain and convinced my doctor had made a terrible mistake during my procedure for me to experience pain at that level.

And now for the good news...

At 13 weeks, my outlook and pain level are so much better. In fact, for me, nine weeks was the true turning point. As I proceed deeper into physical therapy, the movement and strengthening exercises seem to help both physically and emotionally. Sure, it doesn't feel great all the time...rain, cold, dampness, and overdoing it at PT can really hurt at times. Remember, your shoulder has gone through a major trauma and it has been immobile for weeks. What you are going through, from what I've learned from others who've had the same surgery, is a normal part of the process.

I'm happy to report I've regained about 70-75 % of my mobility back at this time. I will continue at PT for the next couple months, and my doctor and therapists are all pleased with my progress. Pain will still be a part of your future, but it does get better. I know it is frustrating...truly, only someone who has gone through what appears to be such a minor procedure will understand what you are saying about the pain. There is nothing minor about living in constant pain. Try not to get too frustrated - better days are on their way. Until then, I will keep wishing you a speedy end to your painful days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen,

Thank you for the info! It's good to hear this will eventually get better. I go in for my 2nd PT appt today (2x a week plus home exercises which I'm doing 3-4x daily). I was just getting a bit concerned because each of my dislocations only took roughly 4 weeks to stop hurting, but I guess surgery does a bit more trauma. I'll keep working at it and following the doctors' and PT's directions. Take care. :)

Jason

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're getting better, though I am sorry there is still pain. I think Pete Yorn has at least a temporary cure for what ails you... See you tonight!